Points of Interest: NADA Protocol
The NADA protocol is a set of 5 ear acupuncture points
Treats anxiety, stress, addiction, and behavioral health conditions.
National Acupuncture Detox Association (NADA) protocol was officially named a treatment style in 1985 by the Director of Lincoln Detox, Michael Smith.
NADA has its roots in black history and the black liberation movement of the 1970’s. This protocol and various forms of it was first used at Lincoln Detox Center to combat the socio economic traumas such as the crack epidemic.
The five points on the ear include:
- Sympathetic – used to treat your stress response, ie flight or fight
- Shenmen – translates to the “spirit gate” and its function is to calm the mind
- Kidney – associated with the fear emotion
- Liver – associated with depression or anger
- Lung – associated with grief and aides in letting go
NADA is an effective tool in community acupuncture, at anytime ask your acupuncturist for the “points in the ear” we are happy to further your acupuncture journey.